Let’s be honest – we recognize that parenting during these high school years is tough and brings different challenges (and opportunities!). WHS PTO knows that it takes a village to raise our kids. The CHAT Hour will bring together our WHS parent and staff communities and draw upon outside expertise to engage in impactful conversations. We will learn from and lean on each other on a range of topics from academic courses to coping strategies. Our Principal Dr. Allyson Mizoguchi and Guidance Department staff will typically be in attendance.
2023-2024 CHAT Hour Dates and Topics
|Friday, September 29 @ 8:45 am
|Kick Off the School Year: Academics, Extracurriculars & Student Support|
||October 5, 2023 @ 8:45 am|
|Friday, December 1, 2023||Peer Mediation Program|
|Friday, January 26, 2024||School Safety – with Chief Burman and Shane Bowles|
|Thursday, February 29, 2024||Student Panel – How to Build a More Inclusive Culture. How to foster better understanding and acceptance between students of different races, gender identity, sexual orientation, neurodivergence, disability, etc.|
|Thursday, March 28, 2024||Implications of AI on Learning with Mark Lefebvre, Tech Specialist|
|* Thursday, April 25, 2024 at 7:00 p.m||Screening of Anxious Nation or other discussion on mental health and stress management|
|Friday, June 7, 2024||Effective Communication with Teens with external speaker, TBD|
2023-2024 Board Meeting Dates
All meetings are held over Zoom. Please email WaylandHighPTO@gmail.com for the link.
October 5, 2023 @ 8:45 am
|WHS PTO Board Meeting (Zoom)|
|September 15, 2023 @ 8:45 am|
|November 9, 2023 @ 8:45 am|
|December 8, 2023 @ 8:45 am
December 2023 TBD – grant decision meeting
|January 12, 2024 @ 8:45 am|
|February 9, 2024 @ 8:45 am|
|March 8, 2024 @ 8:45 am|
|April 12, 2024 @ 8:45 am|
|May 10, 2024 @ 8:45 am|
|June 10, 2024 @ 8:45 am|
Prior Year Info: 2022-2023 CHAT Hour & WHS PTO Board Meeting Dates
- Academics: Academic Center, future planning schedule, layers of supports for students (AC, Sped., RTI, Counseling)
- Extracurriculars: athletics, clubs, performing arts
- MetroWest Adolescent Health Survey Results with Jason Vorhooskey, Wayland Youth & Family Services
- Supporting Gender Diverse Youth with Nick Teich, PhD, LCSW. Nick discussed the gender spectrum and what it means to be transgender and non-binary. He included what parents should know and how they can be supportive of gender-diverse youth. Nick has been working with trans and non-binary youth and their families for 15 years. He is the author of Transgender 101: A Simple Guide to a Complex Issue (Columbia University Press, 2012) and lives in the Boston area.
- Body Image, Eating Disorders and Your Teen, with Emily Gordon, Psy.D. What you need to know about body image, eating disorders and your teen followed by a discussion led by Dr. Gordon about how you can promote healthy body image and self esteem in all genders.