Claypit Hill PTO Board Meeting
September 6th, 2018
• President Melissa Spilman called the PTO Board meeting to order at 9:15am at Claypit Hill School (CHS).
Today’s meeting opened with introductions and focused on the new initiatives at Claypit Hill, as well as the PTO’s commitment to cultivating more of a community feeling.
Claypit Hill Updates
• Dr. Harvey provided the attendees with details about the upcoming Curriculum Nights.
• New website—Dr. Harvey encouraged parents to visit the new website
• CREATE has undergone an update. There is a new logo and each letter represents a core value for students. The 5th grade “Create Team” has been tasked with developing a rap or jingle to help us remember the theme.
• It was noted that each adult’s commitment to the welfare of a child is what sets Claypit Hill apart.
• Kindergarten and New Family Popsicle Date- This year’s PTO’s popsicle play date was held on the Thursday before school started, rather than a Sunday in August. The families participated in a scavenger hunt, which helped them to get to know the school and other families better. Some families were even able to meet the teachers who were in their classroom.
• Welcome Back2School Luncheon- This year’s luncheon was catered. The teacher’s were very appreciative!
• Curriculum Night- Claypit Hill will be hosting two curriculum nights—3-5 grades this evening, Sept. 6th and K-2 grades on Sept. 13th. The PTO, with volunteers, will be supplying refreshments in the gym.
• Room Parents- During Curriculum Night, Head Room Parents will be collecting email addresses from the class. Mrs. Comer’s class is still in need of a Head Room Parent.
• Back to School Bash- New event this year. On Friday, Sept. 7th, families are invited to bring a picnic dinner to Claypit Hill. The event will have a DJ, photo booth, and ice cream to purchase at $5 per ice cream.
PTO Committee Updates
• 5th Grade Activities- The 5th Grade Activity Chairs would like to submit a request for volunteers.
• Claypit Garden- The PTO is looking for volunteers to help with the Claypit Hill Community Garden.
• Grounds Committee- The Grounds Committee reported that there is new money/mission in town with the new Superintendent. More attention will be paid to school grounds by Public Works. They are working with landscapers to replace shrubs,etc. but they will need to be watered by our volunteers.
My School Anywhere
Families are encouraged to sign up for My School Anywhere. It is the student directory for the Wayland Elementary schools. But, the information is populated by participation. So, parents need to sign up and enter their emails and other information to be shared with other families.
Gift Your Child
A reminder that Gift Your Child envelopes will be coming home with the students. This is one of our two fundraisers for the year. The PTO asks that everyone considers donating. The Gift Your Child campaign began as an alternative to multiple fundraising initiatives throughout the year.
• Melissa Spilman, President, reported that the playground equipment purchased with last year’s Wish List monies will be delivered soon.
• Due to the heat for the first days of school, the PTO funded the purchase of 30 fans that were distributed to classrooms prior to the first day of school.
• Kindergarten Playground- PTO received a request for a new basketball hoop. This request will have to go through facilities, not the PTO.
• Big Kid Playground- the PTO is looking into repainting four square, etc.
• More budget discussions will occur at the next meeting.
The meeting concluded with the President, Melissa Spilman thanking everyone for coming and encouraged everyone to stay in touch.
The meeting adjourned at 10:30am.
Respectfully Submitted by:
Dana Cooper, PTO Secretary, Claypit Hill School